Why is EPO dangerous??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is EPO dangerous??

I'm prompted to write this article because there have been some questions recently surrounding the use of EPO. Unless your a qualified Phlebotomist or a medical professional use this drug under extreme care.

The reason that EPO, and transfusion blood doping, is dangerous is because of increased blood viscosity. Basically whole blood consists of red blood cells and plasma (water,proteins, etc.) The percentage of whole blood that is occupied by the red blood cells is referred to as, the hematocrit. A low hematocrit means thin blood, and a high hematocrit mean concentrated thick blood (sludge). Above a certain hematocrit level whole blood can sludge and clog capillaries. If this happens in the brain it results in a stroke. In the heart, a heart attack. Unfortunately, this has happened to several elite athletes who have used EPO.

EPO use is espicially dangerous to athletes who exercise over prolonged periods. A well-conditioned endurance athlete is more dehydration resistant than a sedentary individual. The body accomplishes this by several methods, but one key component is to "hold on" to more water at rest. Circulating whole blood is one location in which this occurs and , thus, can function as a water reservoir. Which means during demanding exercise, as fluid loss mounts, water is shifted out of the blood stream (hematocrit rises). If one is already starting with an artificially elevated hematocrit then you can begin to see the problem. More thickening of the blood!!

Additional dangers of EPO include the sudden death during sleep, which has killed approximately 18 pro cyclists in the past fifteen years, and the development of antibodies directed against EPO. In this later circumstance the person develops anemia as a result of the body's reaction against repeated EPO injections. SO please weigh the risks against the benefits before diving in....

Sounds a little extreme to me!!! What happened to just working out and taking some supps?????

Comment

Thats some pretty intense stuff. Think I'll stick to regular ol' gear.

Comment

Originally posted by mbig245 View Post
        Sounds a little extreme to me!!! What happened to just working out and taking some supps?????
        EPO is probably one of the most sought after drugs for pro cyclists. I agree with you but that's neither here nor there I guess. I guess when used correctly it dramatically increases a cyclists endurance and speed, or they just drop dead! ;o)

Comment

What is epo? New srry.

Comment

Originally posted by sstedje View Post
            What is epo? New srry.
            Sorry man - I couldnt resist -

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+EPO

Comment

Originally posted by sstedje View Post
              What is epo? New srry.
              sstedje EPO stands for - Erythropoietin its a substance given by IV that increase red blood cell counts. That enables the blood to carry more oxygen which enhances performance in events such as long distnace running, cycling ect.....thats the up-side...the down side is heart attacks in your sleep

Comment

great post limo. the thing is, if you want to increase endurance and RBC, there are a lot safer methods. i don't believe anyone "needs" to go this route
                if you are new to the board, please take a minute to read the rules...CLICK HERE

Comment

Sam - what would you say are better ways to increase RBC/Endurance? This is ultimately what I am looking for so advice would be appreciated.

Comment

drug wise, EQ is well known to dramatically up red blood count. i had my blood work done not too long ago, having run EQ and saw for myself. i could feel it at work and while doing cardio. another route to go, if you were an elite athlete with everything at your disposial, would be to train at elevation. when i was in abq, NM, they had an olympic training facility at the top of a mountian right next to town. a similar effect could be found by using a chamber designed to mimic high elevation. so EQ would probably be the easiest thing for you to look into
                    if you are new to the board, please take a minute to read the rules...CLICK HERE

Comment

Right on - thats what I have been thinking about, still not sure which test to stack it with, but I wont derail this thread with those questions. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X