correct form for seated DB curls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct form for seated DB curls

I see alot of guys in the gym doing seated DB curls and using some god awful form. Guys I know its hard to resist going as heavy as possible but remember to use proper form for ultimate results. If your doing this exercise while seated on a flat bench with no back support be sure to sit upright and keep your head and eyes looking straight ahead. To many guys look up or straight down and this an cause you to bend forward/backward thus ruining your form. It's Ok to add a little swing if you feel the need for that extra rep or two but always try to remain straight to avoid injury....

Lol you should see the teenagers in my gym who come in bench and curl every other day I can't help but laugh at them.

Comment

The most important thing to teach younger guys getting into this sport is thats its not all about power, leave the ego at the door. Powerlifting and Bodybuilding are similar in that they involve weights but it ends there....Yes there are powerlifting movements that you should use but there aren't any powerlifters that I know that would place in a Bodybuilding contest

Comment

Two questions: where should your elbows be in relations to your hips at the beginning of each rep vs. at the end? Should you come all the way down in between reps or leave some resistance on the bicep?
        Founder of M.A.A.D.

Free Your Mind

Comment

Perfect form is key! Hope this helps.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...-dumbbell-curl
          Pain is weakness leaving the body!

Comment

Another tip is to twist your wrist out at the top it gives it a little something extra
            SPARTANS!!!! WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matty051 View Post
              Another tip is to twist your wrist out at the top it gives it a little something extra
              yea the litte twist.....that gives the peak a little uummpp

Comment

The rule of thumb when curling is... The only thing that moves is the forearm... Elbows stay to the side the whole time.... Thanks

Comment

Except the exception to that rule and thats when your cheating for that one or two more reps that when I swing them up and then I use the negative resistance and fight it all the way down.....

Comment

i always keep my elbows statoinary next to my hips unless I want to cheat a little bit. what about at the end of the rep? do you guys find it is better to get a good stretch at the bottom or to come down about 95% and leave some tension on the muscle?
                    Founder of M.A.A.D.

Free Your Mind

Comment

Originally posted by limo View Post
                      The most important thing to teach younger guys getting into this sport is thats its not all about power, leave the ego at the door. Powerlifting and Bodybuilding are similar in that they involve weights but it ends there....Yes there are powerlifting movements that you should use but there aren't any powerlifters that I know that would place in a Bodybuilding contest
                      Agree 100% And I tell the guys I lift with the exact same things. You have to feel the exercise in the muscle you are trying to work. Leave your ego at the gym door. I see too many guys who think they are building huge arms by throwing around weights way heavier than the should be lifting... the turn the DB curl into a shoulder exercise!! lol

Comment

I usually start with my palms facing inwards towards my hips then twist till the end of the movement where my palms are facing upwards (pretty much as shown in WhoShotYa's link). Although ive been favouring hammer curls alot recently.

mBig is right only your forearms shouls be moving. Elbows fixed at the side unless as limo pointed out you wanna push those last 2 out a little controlled swing is ok.
                        JuicedUK
                        Last edited by JuicedUK; 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Spent alot time at the gym feeling like a wuss curling 25lbs and 30 lbs DB's while other guys were "swingin" away on 40's and 50's. you guys are right good form pays off and you cant worry about not lookin like a "badass".

Comment

Working...
                          X