How much rest is enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much rest is enough?

Ok so Im having a hard finding figuring how much rest time between workouts a body really needs. I have always worked out 5 days a week m,t,w,th,f (alternating upper and lower body every other day) sat and sun off. I have hit a plateu in my growth. Im currently in the process of changing up my workout. Should working out every other day be better? E.g. mon(upperbody) tuesday off wednesday (lower) thu off friday (upper) sat off sun (lower). My problem is I love working out so much I hate taking days off. How does everybody space there workouts and how many days a week do you workout?
    Muscles are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. Eat big to get big.

the amount of rest needed is very individual. also, it changes with your life and age. a guy laying bricks all day will probably need more rest than a guy working at a desk.

you might just need to change your routine.
    have you ever tried a 1 part a day split? something like this has worked well for me...
    mon-chest
    tues-back
    wed-legs
    thurs-shoulders
    fri-arms
    wkend rest day.

for each body part, i do 4 exercies for 4 sets per exercise.
    if you are new to the board, please take a minute to read the rules...CLICK HERE

Comment

Originally posted by sam1976 View Post
      the amount of rest needed is very individual. also, it changes with your life and age. a guy laying bricks all day will probably need more rest than a guy working at a desk.

have you ever tried a 1 part a day split? something like this has worked well for me...
      mon-chest
      tues-back
      wed-legs
      thurs-shoulders
      fri-arms
      wkend rest day.

I think SAM answered this question the best way possible. It's on a person by person basis. Eveyones rest needs will vary depending on Diet, training and what your day to day lifestyle is like

Comment

Thanks SAM! Will try 1 day spilt for next two or three months and see how it goes.
        Muscles are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. Eat big to get big.

Comment

Try his first...and if you want something different do this:
          Day One: Chest/Tri's (Dips and Close Grip works chest as well so add those two to your chest/tri's day)
          Day Two: Rest
          Day Three: Back/Bi's (Wide Grip pull ups work back as well as biceps so add that excercise on this day...well tech. a lot of Back excerises work your biceps...)
          Day Four: Rest
          Day Five: Shoulders/Abs
          Day Six: Rest
          Day Seven: Legs
          Do one day on...one day off and you will def not overtrain....You work your triceps on Military Press so basically your triceps will have enough time to rest before you do your Shoulders on day Five.

Comment

If you are obese, don't worry about working your abs...it's pointless...people already have abs... just depends on if that BF is low enough to see them...

Comment

Originally posted by sam1976 View Post

mon-chest
              tues-back
              wed-legs
              thurs-shoulders
              fri-arms
              wkend rest day.

I like your routine very much and I've been doing the 1 group per day for as long as I can remember. But when do you do cardio? I usually do:Mon- back/ shoulders, Tues- cardio, Wed- chest, Thurs- off, Fri- legs, Sat- arms, Sun-cardio (or off depending on how I feel)
              Founder of M.A.A.D.

Free Your Mind

Comment

I think every person who are working or not working but all of them must have at-least 7-8 hours sleep in a day. Because sleep is one type of exercise to give rest to your mind. If you don't have this sleep in a day than it will impact bad on your health.
                Pet Medication

Comment

Are we talking actual sleep time or time between workouts? Sleep - at least 7, but more is better. I work out 3 on and 1 off when not cycling. When I juice my body recovers a lot more quickly. I let my body tell me when it's ready, but usually no more than 5 days in a row.

Comment

Working...
                  X