What is Insulin & Diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Insulin & Diabetes

Insulin is a hormone. Like many hormones, insulin is a protein. Insulin is secreted by groups of cells within the pancreas called islet cells. The pancreas is an organ that sits behind the stomach and has many functions in addition to insulin production. Carbohydrates (or sugars) are absorbed from the intestines into the bloodstream after a meal. Insulin is then secreted by the pancreas in response to this detected increase in blood sugar. Most cells of the human body have insulin receptors which bind the insulin which is in circulation. When a cell has insulin attched to its suface the cell activates other receptors disgned to absorb glucose (sugar) from the blood stream into the inside of the cell. Thus creating energy for the body.

Without insulin you could eat lots and lots of food and actually be in a state of starvation since many of our cells cannot access the calories contained in the glucose very well without the action of insulin. This is why people with type 1 diabetes who do not make insulin can become very ill without insulin shots. Insulin is a necessary hormone. Those who develop a deficiency to insulin must have it replaced via shots or pumps (this is type 1 diabetes).

More commonly people will develope insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes) rather than a true deficiency to insulin. In this case the levels of insulin in the blood are similar or even higher than in people without diabetes. However many cells of people with type 2 diabetes respond sluggishly to the insulin they make and therefore their cells cannot absorb the sugar very well. This leads to blood sugar levels which run higher than normal. Occasionally people with type 2 diabetes will need insulin shots but most of the time other methods of treatment work.

Insulin was the first hormone identified (late 1920's), which won the doctor and medical student who discovered it the Nobel Prize (Banting and Best). They discovered insulin by tying a string around the pancreatic duct of several dogs. When they examined the pancreases of these dogs several weeks later all the pancreas digestive cells were gone (died and absorbed by the immune system), and the only thing left were thousands of little pancreatic islets. They then isolated the protein from these islets and they discovered insulin. They never could have imagined then the way insulin was going to be used someday down the road
    Last edited by limo; 01-25-2011, 03:10 PM.

Interesting post Limo.. Keep'em coming!!!

Comment

Slightly off topic but is it safe for a diabetic to take steroids. By safe i mean any worse then a non diabetic. My friend is diabetic and asked me but i had no idea.

Comment

I'm a diabetic but I'm not a doctor ok. I use and everytime I cycle Test is part of the cycle and the one thing you have to be very careful about is the water retention. If I'm not watching the diet like I should when I'm 'on' I tend to blow up quickly. To combat this i adjust my lasix (which I also have a script for) accordingly. Otherwise I have regualar blood work done as part of diabetes treatments and most of the time my levels are within exceptable ranges. I would tell your friend to be sure to get his bloodwork done if he choses to use and hes a diabetic the blood work will tell him if he needs to adjust anything.

Comment

I was training a member and he wasn't going anywhere ,as a matter of fact he had lost close to 35 lbs,so i had him tested,yep! Just as i suspected ,He had Type 2 diabetes and his blood sugar was over 400,the normal range is 80-120,after getting that under control by pills he started Growing again, The foods you eat have alot to do with it.
          I have reciently found that there are over 2.5 million people in the US alone that have type 2 diabetes and more than 3 million walking around that don't even realize that they have it.
          I believe everyone should have a glucose monitor costs about $20 in most pharmacies,and yes people with normal controlled blood sugar can take staroids safely.

Now if he is having to take insulin thats another story!

Comment

Working...
          X