Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johny Hendricks Hospitalized While Cutting Weight, Woodley Fight Scratched From UFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johny Hendricks Hospitalized While Cutting Weight, Woodley Fight Scratched From UFC

Johny Hendricks Hospitalized While Cutting Weight, Woodley Fight Scratched From UFC 192

We’re just a few minutes out from the UFC 192 weigh-ins, and we’ve already seen our first casualty.

Yes, it appears that the weight-cutting woes of former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks have taken a far more serious turn, as “Bigg Rigg” was forced out of his co-main event title eliminator against Tyron Woodley earlier today after being hospitalized during the weight cutting process.

Hendricks, who parted ways with nutritionist Mike Dolce earlier this year, was rushed to the emergency room last night and had to be given an IV after suffering a blockage in his intestine and a kidney stone.

“The weight was coming off fine and then yesterday my body just started to shut down,” Hendricks said in an interview with MMAFighting. “Then yesterday my body just started to shut down. When it hit that point, I tried to push through it, and well, it didn’t go well because then I had to go to the ER.”

The news was first broke by Dana White via Twitter and later confirmed by Ariel Helwani.

Hendrick’s opponent is understandably perturbed by the news.
    I’m frustrated, obviously. I’m always trying to look for the lesson in things and positive signs. I believe things happen for a reason. I’m counting this as a loss for him. You got to make the weight. I’m sitting here at weight, wired, ready to wage war and now I’m not going to get that opportunity.

Hopefully, I’m compensated accordingly because this shouldn’t be a strike against me.

And as it just so happens, Woodley will be *heavily* compensated in the form of a title shot against the winner of Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit at UFC 193. The flyweight fight between top contenders Ali Bagautinov and Joseph Benavidez will also be bumped up to the UFC 192 main card as a result of the Hendricks-Woodley cancellation.

As for Hendricks? Well, you’ve gotta assume that a temporary move up to 185 is in his future, ala Kelvin Gastelum. And it looks like Hendricks might actually be in agreement.

“I think I have to lose more fat or move up,” he said. “We might move up to 185, but I want to get home and start testing myself on body fat and try to work it down and see if that’s going to work in a mini weight cut. Then that’s when I can really focus on what’s next. If it doesn’t go go good, then it’s 185 for sure. I still enjoy fighting, just not the weight cut.”
Working...
X