X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitor Belfort Calls Into Question Chris Weidman’s Ability To Fight

Vitor Belfort Calls Into Question Chris Weidman’s Ability To Fight

By Dana Becker on February 3, 2015

When news broke that Chris Weidman would not be able to compete later this month at UFC 184, Vitor Belfort was offered an interim UFC middleweight title fight with Lyoto Machida.

Belfort declined.

Now, “The Phenom” has released a statement via Facebook explaining his decision to say no to the title fight with Machida. In doing so, Belfort took some interesting shots at Weidman.

Below is the complete statement:
    About the cancellation of my UFC 184 fight.

I would like to say that, as everyone else, I’m very disappointed with all this situation.

For exactly one year, I have seen my dream to make history in UFC with my 3rd world title in a different weight category postponed.

Here are some facts:

– UFC had to reschedule the middleweight world title content 3 times because of my opponent’s injuries. (from May/14 to July/14- Weidman had a knee surgery, from December/14 to February/15 – Weidman had his hand broken, from February/15 to probably May/15- Weidman had his ribs hurt)

– MY FOCUS WAS ALWAYS THE MIDDLEWEIGHT BELT AND I CLIMBED THE LADDER TO ACHIEVE MY POSITION.

– This is why I won’t fight for an interim, but if UFC gives 8 weeks and the middleweight Belt available for dispute I fight with anyone from the ranking. Not for an (Interim), But the Middleweight Belt!

– I’ve been in this sport for 19 years and I have never let UFC down.

– I accepted to fight for the Light Heavyweight Belt right after the my sister got kidnapped and I still won the world championship.

– I offered myself to fight in the UFC 152 against Jon Jones with less than 8 weeks to prepare myself to the bout and I had exactly the same injury my opponent has now and still I stepped up to the fight.

I would like to thank UFC, the press and fans support, always.

Focused in the Middleweight Belt!

Working...
X